RESEARCH DEMONSTRATES THE EFFECTIVENESS OF HOMEOPATHY
MV Celso Affonso M. Pedrini
Because of presenting a different conception, besides not understanding its mode of action, Homeopathy suffers great resistance in being accepted by classical science. Thus, it is very important that scientific papers be done demonstrating the effectiveness of homeopathic treatment in humans and other animal species, demystifying some taboos related to treatment by the similar.
If Homeopathy is already seen with serious restrictions by Human Medicine because its mode of action is attributed to the placebo effect, in Veterinary Medicine these restrictions increase exponentially since the animals are not susceptible to a psychological effect in their expectation of improvement, a fact that is attributed to the symbolism that the treatment implemented represents, because the animals do not possess, at least in principle, full awareness that they are being treated. Therefore, the possibility of improvement in animals due to the placebo effect would be negligible.
However, clinical practice demonstrates that homeopathic treatment has very satisfactory results, both in humans and in other animals, showing that it is not necessary to believe and have faith for the homeopathic treatment to work.
Motivated by the challenge of answering the question whether Homeopathy works or not, we performed this clinical research independently for 8 years, between 2005 and 2013, in the Homeopathic League of Rio Grande do Sul, in Porto Alegre, Brazil, with which we established a partnership, concurrently with voluntary work.
This research arose with the objective of documenting individual clinical cases, showing why we chose to work with Homeopathy in Veterinary Medicine, because our clinical practice demonstrated that this therapeutic system has the conditions to provide excellent results, in order to offer a more dignified life, healthy and quality to patients, especially in cases where the classic treatment has partial or unsatisfactory results. We consider this to be the great differential of Homeopathy, successfully treating patients that Classic Veterinary Medicine has exhausted its resources, with these patients being even disillusioned, many times. Of course, always with much criterion and responsibility, since each case must be analyzed individually.
Over time, we realized the possibility of conducting an efficacy study. However, we find some obstacles, mainly related to the conception of health and disease, because, unlike Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy treats the patient as a whole, not the disease. In this way, we try to make an approximation the classical scientific method. To do this, we use a specialized literature and the our own methodology, which we have been developing and improving since we completed our specialization 25 years ago. Thus, by Homeopathy be structured in a differentiated paradigm, the evaluation of the patients submitted to this study should also be performed in a different way. Therefore, the symptoms were the parameters used for the treatment and evaluation of the evolution of canine and feline patients with chronic diseases and behavioral disorders who underwent our homeopathic treatment.
Of 77 patients who underwent a first evaluation, 26, that is, 33.77% did not return. This fact shows the need to clarify to their caregivers that Homeopathy has different conceptions and concepts, and that some phenomena may occur with patients during treatment. In addition, in chronic conditions, there is a need for continuity, and the treatment should occur in the medium or long term, so that homeopathic therapeutic can provide its full benefits potential to patients.
Patients included in the study were divided into two groups: those who were treated and followed for more than 6 months and those who were for less than 6 months. A third group consisted of all 51 patients who had sequence in the treatment.
Some results and conclusions of this research:
* Of the 25 patients in the group who were followed for more than 6 months, 96% had a significant improvement in their initial condition (ie, the symptoms inherent to the diagnosis related to the main complaint) and their quality of life. Results were significantly higher than the group that was followed for less than 6 months, which presented 69.23% and 76.92%, respectively.
* In large part the of patients, there was a concomitant improvement of other symptoms, both physical and behavioral. Considering the group that was followed up for more than 6 months: of the 22 patients who presented with behavioral and organic symptoms before starting the treatment, with a significant improvement in the diagnosis related to the main complaint, 20 of these patients, that is, 90, 9% presented concomitant improvements in physical and behavioral symptoms. These numbers corroborate the concept of integral treatment that is conferred to the homeopathic therapeutic system.
* Due to the high degree of efficacy in the treatment of canine and feline patients with chronic diseases and behavioral disorders by Homeopathy, we conclude that the action of the homeopathic medicine can not be caused by the placebo effect, since the animals would not be, in principle, susceptible to a positive psychological effect in their expectation of improvement.
* The results of this study demonstrate that homeopathic treatment was effective in chronic diseases and behavior disorders in dogs and cats. In this way, homeopathy can be considered an evidence-based science.
* The high degree of effectiveness of this research corroborates the fact that Homeopathy is not anachronistic, even if we are living in the 21st century, where we are increasingly dependent on technology and computer science.
To know more details of this research, we suggest the reading of "Study of the effectiveness of Homeopathy in the treatment of chronic diseases and behavioral disorders in dogs and cats", on our website.
Dr. Celso Affonso Machado Pedrini
Veterinary Doctor www.celsopedrini.com.br